Lecturer of Chinese (Ames, Iowa)
The Department of World Languages and Cultures at Iowa State University is seeking a Lecturer to teach six courses annually in introductory through advanced Chinese language, literature, and culture, with possibility of renewal. This position will also have the opportunity to participate fully in the scholarly and professional life of the department. The successful candidate will have the ability to communicate effectively in English with students, faculty, and staff.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• M.A. in Chinese or related field
• Evidence of successful stand-alone Chinese language teaching experience at beginning, intermediate, or advanced levels
• Native or near-native fluency in Mandarin Chinese
• Ph.D. in Chinese, Chinese Studies, or a related field
• Demonstrated ability to instruct upper-division (advanced) content courses in Chinese Studies
• Demonstrated teaching effectiveness
• Evidence of ability to work with diverse student, faculty, and staff populations
The Department of World Languages and Cultures is the central resource at Iowa State University for the teaching, research, and study of cultures in and through their native languages from a global perspective. The department offers 9 languages with majors in French, German, and Spanish and minors in those languages plus Russian and Chinese. Other languages taught are American Sign Language, Arabic, Greek, and Latin. It also houses the International Studies and Classical Studies programs. The department’s 19 award-winning tenure-stream faculty engage in internationally-recognized research across a variety of disciplines.
Proposed Start Date:
August 16, 2022
To apply for this position, please follow this link and be prepared to enter or attach the following before March 20, 2022:
1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
3) Contact Information for Three References
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.